14% Alc, Western Cape
With Amatra White, a Chenin-based cuvée, Cathy aims to apply a classic, cool, restrained approach to a generally accepted warmer climate variety found in most of South Africa.
Bright, fresh, sweet melon and white peach top notes with fleshy ripe nectarines on the core and crisp green apple acidity on the finish. A rich mid-palate of lanolin adds depth and complexity to the wet granite stone texture. Primary white peach and fresh apple fruit aromatics may evolve into nutty, spicy baked apple and cardamom notes with age.
Harvest took place in March in Elgin, and mid-February in Stellenbosch. Both cluster and berry sorting commenced prior to being partially crushed. The mash was pressed in a pneumatic bag press where both free run and pressed fractions were treated oxidatively with minimal chemical additives. The juice was settled cold for two days and then 40% was decanted to old 225 litre French casks and the remaining 60% was fermented cold in stainless steel with no commercial yeast strain innoculated. The wine has not been through secondary malolactic fermentation and matured for 8 months after which both components were consolidated. Once the wine completed maturation, the casks were consolidated and bottled.
Accredited Integrated Production of Wine (IPW) estate. Wines are registered with the South African Vegan Society.