Thanks so much to all our amazing Grog customers for braving the rain and coming along to our wine fair last Friday evening. We had a brilliant time with 100 wines supported by loads of producers including Allan Scott who was here all the way from New Zealand - thanks Allan!
Here are the top 20 wines as voted for by you ....
1. Rioja Vega Tempranillo Blanco 2017, Spain, £12.25
A gorgeous peaches-and-cream ripe, rich white made from albino Tempranillo grapes. Fermented and aged in French oak for 6 months.
2. The Cut Sauvignon Blanc 2018, New Zealand, £9.45
Our top-selling wine by quantity and value. Superb example of why people first got into Sauv Blanc.
3. Rioja Vega Tempranillo Colleccion Red 2016, Spain, £12.25
Awesome, top-quality, limited edition, barrel-matured red. hand-crafted right down to having their own cooperage.
4. Esporao Reserve Branco 2017, Portugal, £12.89
Somehow manages to walk a spaghetti junction of tightropes - full of ripe fruit flavours, yet zippy and clean; barrel fermented, yet light and pure; full bodied yet not cloying and moreish. Superb.
5. Los Haroldos Oaked Malbec 2017, Argentina, £11.15
Gorgeous fruit with mellow spice from oak maturation. From a family producer in the Uco Valley.
6. Albarino Alba Vega 2018, Spain, £10.65
Superb version of this amazing grape Dry, zingy, FRESH 'n' fruity. A delight of salty lime goodness.
7. Esporao Duas Castas 2016, Potugal, £10.65
A duo of Roupeiro & Viosinho. Waxy limes and honeydew melon flavours, with a slick, clean vein of acidity. Invigorating.
8.Bird In Hand Sparkling Pinot Noir Rose, Australia, £14.39
Delicate, floral notes, fresh strawberry, red apple and pink grapefruit. Lively palate with a delicate bead and crisp, clean finish.
9. Allan Scott Pinot Gris 2018, New Zealand, £11.59
Really soft & welcoming style. Honey-suckle, dew drop melons and light vanilla marshmallow, like a summer stone fruit cocktail
10. Scotto Zinfandel 2016, USA, £10.29
What a brilliant, brilliant wine! Sweet, succulent blueberries, cola, cherry and black liquorice. It is ripe and juicy with red summer berries, pomegranate, cranberry, and hints of cinnamon and pepper.
11. Esporao Quatro Castas 2016, Portugal, £11.65
A blend of four different grapes; Touriga Nacional, Touriga Franca, Syrah and Petit Verdot. A complex and elegant wine with rich fruit, slightly spicy and peppery with a persistent finish.
12. Pe Tinto 2017, Portugal, £6.60
Bright ruby red blend (Moreto, Castelao & Trincadeira), ripe red fruits, pretty full-bodied- no oak.
13. Murphy's Shiraz 2017, Australia, £6.85
A stalwart of our range. Cherry, cassis and mocha aromas, followed on the palate complementing sweet plum and spice.
14. Santiago Pinot Noir 2017, Chile, £7.15
"Bletchly Park" level of brilliance. Stainless steel tank fermented Pinot with lovely character. He ain't heavy, but he is very, very tasty. Family-owned winery.
15. Paparuda Pinot Noir 2018, Romania, £7.85
Juicy, light and positively bursting with berry fruit and violet.
16. Trentham Heathcote Shiraz 2015, Australia, £18.25
Bloody marvellous stuff. Rich and balanced showing lifted fruit aromas of pepper, plum, dark cherry and chocolate. The palate is long, ripe and supple with smooth sweet dark fruit and toasty oak
17. Scott Base Central Otago Pinot Noir 2015, New Zealand, £17.29
From one of the best bits of the planet for Pinot. Complex, soft, juicy, spicy, long-flavoured and unbelievably good value (for an Otago!). Cheers!
18. Bella Luna Fiano 2018, Australia, £11.09
Opulant, rich and textual. Totally devine in fact with flavours of honey, hazelnuts and spice.
19.Vinho Verda Vila Nova 2017, Portugal, £8.69
Light and fruity lemon sherbet drop with a touch of fizz.
20. Garda Frizzante DOC NV, Italy, £6.89
Fresh, cheap and stupdily drinkable. Perfect party juice.